Thursday 15 March 2007

Artists in Angel for bi-annual fair

Josh Spero meets some of the Warhol and Testino hopefuls of the future

Vicki Bunn is an art student reaching the end of the academic track and finding that the only way up is to exhibit her work.
She takes black and white photos of flowers that are often very beautiful and delicate, but unreal too.
“Everybody is going digital and [traditional photography] is becoming less and less there, so hopefully one day I’ll become one of the few people doing this,” she says. I’ve got to be true to myself.”
www.vickibunn.com


Mark Perronet is a corporate photographer from Holloway, who spends his time photographing men in suits.
He describes his work as “Irreverent” and his prints are heavily influenced by Pop Art, especially Andy Warhol’s emphasis on what can be mass-produced.
“I like screen-printing because you get your hands dirty and it’s all very low tech. Corporate photography is good but this is obviously more personal, with brighter colours.”
www.perronet.com

Rebekah Taylor and Ellen Wetterwald met while working together at a special effects company and decided to collaborate as artists.
Their photos show children’s sweets in dulled neon colours: lurid toffee apples and love-hearts in rows. “It has a vibrant contemporary feel of fun, something that jumps off the wall, says Rebekah”. We take the images separately, but audiences see the work as one person. We wanted to put all of our creative energy sources together. Two heads are better than one when solving a problem.”
www.eandrdesign.com


Anthony Bliss was a commercial photojournalist before a cancer scare convinced him to follow an artistic path: “I’m showing my work the way I want to: it’s a huge relief,” he says.
He displays a series of moody, grey-green-black photos of haunted places in London, taken with a fisheye lens so the shot warps and wraps around itself. “A lot of people have said very nice things about my work. It’s never easy – I’ve freelanced all my life so I’ve always been putting myself up for rejection. It’s almost like an affirmation of my work at a show like this.”
www.anthonybliss.com


Clare Johnson is from Seattle and has an MA in Fine Art from Central St Martin’s. Her work consists of small black line drawings with nature as a strong theme throughout.
Her pictures often show a comedic/tragic riff and Seattle inspires her work. “I think art is about trying to comfort myself in the face of homesickness,” she says. “Some people look at them and giggle, which is great because I love when art makes people happy. Some people see them as very sad and lonely because of the remoteness of the places.”
www.clarejohnson.com

No comments: